"THERE DO EXIST ENQUIRING MINDS, which long for the truth of the heart, seek it, strive to solve the problems set by life, try to penetrate to the essence of things and phenomena and to penetrate into themselves. If a man reasons and thinks soundly, no matter which path he follows in solving these problems, he must inevitably arrive back at himself, and begin with the solution of the problem of what he is himself and what his place is in the world around him. For without this knowledge, he will have no focal point in his search. Socrates’ words, “Know thyself” remain for all those who seek true knowledge and being."

VIEWS FROM THE REAL WORLD, BY by G.I. Gurdjieff, p 43

21 July 2009

New Arrivals

It's been a while since my last post. I've been busy with some new arrivals at our place - two, six week old kittens and numerous fleas. The kittens, both from the same litter, arrived Sunday before last. They keep odd hours - the favored play time being just when I am going to bed and at five in the morning. I have been very busy kitty proofing the place, which seems to require taking everything apart and putting it back together again. This has been no easy task since the kittens get into everything. To my horror, they both squeezed through a two inch space between the fridge and a cabinet where there is freshly sprinkled bug powder. As soon as they emerged I grabbed them and gave them a very quick wash of from the tops their tiny heads to the tips of their skinny tails and then sat vigil a good part of the night to be sure they hadn't ingested any of the poison. I am also working hard to convince the fleas to leave without using harmful chemicals.

I am a bit surprised at myself. I immediately began talking gibberish at the kittens in a high squeaky voice. I looked up at one point and Todd (who shares the apartment) was standing there looking bemused at the sight. I don't think he's ever seen this side of me.

The kittens haven't got permanent names yet; we're waiting to see who they are. However, I have been calling the boy Rupee from time to time because he gets a funny look on his face that reminds me of my older brother, Rupert, when he is pensive, and I sometimes call the girl Cheeky Boots because she is when I ask her to stop doing something she turns her back to me and ignores the request. They are soooooo funny together.

I haven't laughed this much in a very long time and am very grateful to Todd,for suggesting we get them. They are a very welcome addition to our household.

Peace,
L.

No comments:

Post a Comment