"THERE DO EXIST ENQUIRING MINDS, which long for the truth of the heart, seek it, strive to solve the problems set by life, try to penetrate to the essence of things and phenomena and to penetrate into themselves. If a man reasons and thinks soundly, no matter which path he follows in solving these problems, he must inevitably arrive back at himself, and begin with the solution of the problem of what he is himself and what his place is in the world around him. For without this knowledge, he will have no focal point in his search. Socrates’ words, “Know thyself” remain for all those who seek true knowledge and being."

VIEWS FROM THE REAL WORLD, BY by G.I. Gurdjieff, p 43

25 July 2009

King Snake

I am currently working on a book of short stories and poems titled Lalo the Snake Catcher. The following is an excerpt from King Snake, a short story in the series.

Here, Lalo is talking with a giant snake who has terrorized the countryside and eaten unattended babies, livestock and the odd farmer's wife. Although she did capture and kill him, unfortunately for Lalo and for the snake, he came back to life again through the power of dark magic. Because he is unable to die until he genuinely repents, Lalo takes King Snake back to her home in the deep deep woods where she builds a special box to keep him in.

~~~~~~~

Tired of his moaning on and on about being caught and how it wasn't fair to be kept cooped up in his box, Lalo prepared King Snake his favorite breakfast hoping it would take his mind off his incessant self pity and conniving to escape.

The whining and the cajoling, which had been going on for months continued. "Let me out, please let me out Miss Lalo!" shouted King Snake mournfully. "I promise I won't do it again." He added indignantly, "It really isn't my fault I am a snake you know! I was born this way!" Then he wheedled, "Truly, I really am a good sort at heart. Honestly, I swear on my Mother. If you just set me free I will never eat another baby again and I will give you half my kingdom as a reward. Just set me free. Pleeeeeeeeeessssssssssss." He hissed pitifully in his darkness.

Lalo sighed and closed her eyes. "Here is a riddle for you King Snake," she cooed, "if you can solve it correctly I will set you free. Listen carefully now." she cleared her throat,

"You are the trap the ego sets to catch and keep in their places the inner and outer players it needs to fulfill the roles in the movies it runs in your head about everyone and everything it comes in contact with."

She paused for what seemed to King Snake like hours.

"WELLLLLLLLLL?" he finally exploded with venomous exasperation.

"What are you?"
Lalo asked gently as she fed several dozens of fat rats and small birds through the opening at the top of his box.

"WHAT?, WHAT DO YOU MEAN?" he bellowed.

"That is the riddle. 'What are you?'" she repeated - even more quietly than before.

Five years went by without so much as a whisper from the box. The day after that King Snake called out, "Lalo, Miss Lalo, are you still there?" He was crying.

"Yes, my friend, of course I am here."

"I don't know the answer," he said with a sob, "please tell me the answer."

"Manipulation" is the answer my dear snake." was all she said.

~~~~~~


Awaken, Be Good, Be Happy, Be at Peace,

L.

No comments:

Post a Comment