"THERE DO EXIST ENQUIRING MINDS, which long for the truth of the heart, seek it, strive to solve the problems set by life, try to penetrate to the essence of things and phenomena and to penetrate into themselves. If a man reasons and thinks soundly, no matter which path he follows in solving these problems, he must inevitably arrive back at himself, and begin with the solution of the problem of what he is himself and what his place is in the world around him. For without this knowledge, he will have no focal point in his search. Socrates’ words, “Know thyself” remain for all those who seek true knowledge and being."

VIEWS FROM THE REAL WORLD, BY by G.I. Gurdjieff, p 43

18 October 2011

Searching for a New Home: The Search Is Over... For Now

For now, another apartment has been found in another building here in the same complex I've been in for many years. I move next week. I say "for now" because this is a temporary move as I plan to continue to search for the perfect house for myself and for group work.

I'll be paring down quite a bit as I am moving from a 1142sq' space to a 750sq' space on the ground floor. Last night I felt sad. I'll miss the extra space to spread out in and the sunlight that fills every room all day and being on the top floor where I can look out at the birds and squirrels in the trees as they go about their business and scamper about. At the same time, I look forward to being in the new apartment which has a little patio that opens onto a beautifully lush green lawn that runs the entire length of the building. There is nothing else in sight except for a tall fence entirely covered with vines and pink flowers that bloom year round. I seem to remember the scent of Jasmine back there as well. The lawn is very well kept and the building is at the center of the property well away from the main road, so the air will be cleaner and the space much quieter.


Lesson in Limitations # 2million, five:

The 'lessons' never end.. and that's a good thing, otherwise life would be boring. Yesterday I had to climb a flight of stairs with a small hand truck loaded with folded moving boxes. I was pretty much asleep until I arrived home with my new moving boxes and other supplies. Getting the boxes upstairs was going to be a challenge. I had to STOP for a few moments to work out how to load the hand truck and then 'watched' myself do that and then carefully go up the stairs without tumbling down or dropping everything.

I noticed recently, that since I started using a cane I've been feeling a bit embarrassed to be seen using it or hobbling around without it. Faced with the current tasks and the undeniable reality that the only one here to do this was me, all thoughts of embarrassment disappeared. I became interested in how to do it. I kindly gave myself permission to take my time and go slowly and came fully into my body - then moving up the stairs was easy and interesting. One step at a time the left foot lead while the weaker right one waited patiently for its turn to step up. The left leg lifted the body with the support of the cane, enabling the right to move up as well, and when both feet were firmly planted on the next step, I could pull the little hand truck up to the step I just left. Sixteen steps in all.

When I reached the top I smiled and thought , "What a clever girl you are."  realizing I'd just had fun fully using my body with my current physical limitations for the first time.I'm looking forward to packing - which I'd been dreading before.

LOL - climbing steps with a cane and a hand truck loaded with flat packing boxes...a new sort of work movements exercise for the aging and infirm? Yes, actually. The exercise can be called "Limitations"... Ah well... and so it goes my dears. It gives new meaning to, "going to heaven in a hand-basket." No? (Yes, I did say "heaven" not hell)

More tropical rains coming. Happily we won't be in the center of it all this time so perhaps it won't be as bad as last week's downpour.

Off to begin packing - the next test - can I do it all before next Wednesday???

…to be continued


Bee Good,
Be well,
BE

L.

No comments:

Post a Comment