"THERE DO EXIST ENQUIRING MINDS, which long for the truth of the heart, seek it, strive to solve the problems set by life, try to penetrate to the essence of things and phenomena and to penetrate into themselves. If a man reasons and thinks soundly, no matter which path he follows in solving these problems, he must inevitably arrive back at himself, and begin with the solution of the problem of what he is himself and what his place is in the world around him. For without this knowledge, he will have no focal point in his search. Socrates’ words, “Know thyself” remain for all those who seek true knowledge and being."

VIEWS FROM THE REAL WORLD, BY by G.I. Gurdjieff, p 43

22 June 2009

Other Practices

I was a little taken aback by the intensity and flippant condemnation of other schools and practices, as well as what was said about people who leave the work by a fellow member of the Gurdjieff work in his blog - which I had previously recommended to younger members of the work.

His diatribe embarrassed and concerns me. I would not want anyone to think he speaks for the Foundation itself or for all who practice the Gurdjieff work. The man is entitled to his opinion, as is anyone. If anyone reading his blog might think that what he says is true for everyone in the work - it is not. In this day and age, nothing is further from the truth.

All one has to do is a little research to know whether a system or a practice has true value for you: for your own work in this world with others and for the planet and whether it aids one in helping God.

While it is true that when you are beginning to study the Gurdjieff work it is best not to mix practices - this does not mean you have to give up your Spiritual beliefs and practices. For myself, I found that the work ideas helped me to understand my religious and spiritual beliefs more clearly.

I am now researching other practices to see and verify for myself what is being taught and espoused now, in the year 2009, and am posting links to sites I have found that prove that they and the work are pretty much on the same page - the languages and methods are a little different - i.e.: Sufi's call God, Allah, etc. Personally, I do not feel the seasoned practitioner of the work could possibly be led astray or get lost in any of them. Truth is truth.

As for those who leave the work, I believe it depends on when you leave and why. If you leave after 30 years or so, perhaps you are retiring - in any case such blanket statements as made by the person who posted the very old fearsome version is wrong.

What is between you and God is between you and God, you know what that is and God knows what that is. No one else can say what that is.

If you ever leave the work, you take with you everything you have earned up to that point - for those who leave too soon, you may lose it all. Some who leave too soon may come back after awhile, not having found what fulfills their needs. People move to other groups; many who have been in the work for some time may leave to form new groups in other places. The bottom line is, you can leave the work, but the work never leaves you. It is a gift that keeps on giving - no matter what.

The words or language used in any system are as varied as there are members of the given organization, I may say "experiment" or "experiential", (commonly used) you may say something else, I may suggest "explore", you may use a different word - again potatoes, potah-toes... I know what I mean and so does the person I am saying it to - and so does God. You would have to BE there in order to say anything about what I said, No?

Perhaps it was just a case of jet lag, identification, and being taken while describing so perfectly in words what cannot be described, I do not know. It doesn't matter, but please, have a care for what you say and the venue you choose to say it in. We don't want to spoil other people's chances - especially the youngest hopefuls, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment