"THERE DO EXIST ENQUIRING MINDS, which long for the truth of the heart, seek it, strive to solve the problems set by life, try to penetrate to the essence of things and phenomena and to penetrate into themselves. If a man reasons and thinks soundly, no matter which path he follows in solving these problems, he must inevitably arrive back at himself, and begin with the solution of the problem of what he is himself and what his place is in the world around him. For without this knowledge, he will have no focal point in his search. Socrates’ words, “Know thyself” remain for all those who seek true knowledge and being."

VIEWS FROM THE REAL WORLD, BY by G.I. Gurdjieff, p 43

23 March 2009

SILENCE

Taking the task of speaking only when necessary, how interesting - to be silent inside and out.

To cease unnecessary outer talking is not hard for me; I live and spend my days alone for the most part. It is the inner talking that is standing out. I woke this morning remembering the task and as I got ready for the day, a conversation with myself about how I was to write today ensued. Should I not write this week? An agreement was reached. It is the unnecessary inner talking I am most interested in. This vantage point is fascinating on a deeply personal, organic level. My listening mechanisms have become tuning forks. The inner talking is matter, material with weight and sensation.

The lonesome feeling and sadness I experienced all week is experienced differently now. Ordinarily I just put it in a box, close the lid and shove it in a closet. It is out of it's box now. Given the respect of being heard, the experience has moved to a new level; no longer muffled it has value and is no longer a tugging nuisance.

Not speaking unless necessary also brings me to a place I have not explored in this way before in my external work; a creaky old door has opened and magically cobwebs have cleared from internal rooms, windows are opening and letting in light where I have been rooting out material for the new book in the dark. This new project, long considered and long delayed, is in progress now - the beginning, middle and end falling into place. What is unnecessary sorted from what is necessary.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment