"THERE DO EXIST ENQUIRING MINDS, which long for the truth of the heart, seek it, strive to solve the problems set by life, try to penetrate to the essence of things and phenomena and to penetrate into themselves. If a man reasons and thinks soundly, no matter which path he follows in solving these problems, he must inevitably arrive back at himself, and begin with the solution of the problem of what he is himself and what his place is in the world around him. For without this knowledge, he will have no focal point in his search. Socrates’ words, “Know thyself” remain for all those who seek true knowledge and being."

VIEWS FROM THE REAL WORLD, BY by G.I. Gurdjieff, p 43

14 April 2009

It Is Raining

Shhh...
I've been sitting here most of the morning working. It was cloudy this morning but became darker and darker as the day wore on and I had to turn on the lamp.

About two hours ago rolling thunder claps miles away announced the impending visit of the thunderstorms that just passed over. I love thunderstorms - provided they are polite enough not to overstep my boundaries and cause harm or damage. I even like hurricanes if they are not too naughty. This weather always brings an energy that is so different from the norm for me and it triggers memories I enjoy. It is like an energy cleanse.

When they finally arrived overhead, gallons of much needed water poured onto the flat roof directly over my head twice. After a short visit some of the big clouds moved on; a few smaller ones stayed behind. Like a crowd of teenage boys in a huddle after school, they rumbled in muffled tones punctuated by short loud clapping burst with heavier rain.

The rain hit the roof and flowed over the eaves like a big waterfall splashing onto my wood slatted balcony floor setting up a fast hard tempo. As they moved away, I began to notice other sounds: the lighter rain with it's own pace, the traffic on the big road outside - swish swish in one direction, swish, swish in the other as cars come and go through the water on the street. I could tell if a vehicle was moving fast or slow or if it was heavy or light. Honk, beep, sswishhh, swishhh, quiet hushed sounds, fingers tapping on the keys, the hum of the old refrigerator, the air conditioner switching on and off, my breathing. Everything was vibrating in this rain symphony; keeping it's own time, everything played its part.

Peace, enjoy your rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment